The Oxford Fire and EMS Department proudly serves a 26 square mile residential community with a population of right around 13,500.
Department consists of a small contingent of six (6) Full-Time Fire Fighters and approx forty-nine (49) on-call volunteer Fire Fighters and EMS Providers. Oxford Fire/EMS operates four (4) engines, two (2) brush trucks, one (1) tower, one (1) Large Diameter Hose (LDH) truck, one (1) Heavy Rescue, one (1) Incident Command Unit, three (3) Paramedic Level Ambulances, and one (1) Paramedic Response Unit. All full time members are required to be fully trained Fire Fighters and a minimum EMS certification of EMT-Intermediate.
The department dates back to 1856, when the town voted to organize the Col. DeWitt Engine Company. Opening one station and they purchased a Jeffers hand pumper (still in our possession). A second station was organized in 1884 as the Huguenot Steamer No. 1 with a Sibley #5 rotary steam system (still in our possession). Both companies still remain active today.